The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP)

We distribute highly nutritious food provided by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).

What is The Emergency Food Assistance Program?

The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) is a federal program that helps supplement the diets of low-income Americans by providing nutrition assistance at no cost. Through TEFAP, the USDA purchases food, and makes it available to state distributing agencies like the St. Louis Area Foodbank. Under TEFAP, states also receive administrative funds to support the storage and distribution of USDA foods. These funds must, in part, be passed down to local agencies.

We are the sole distributor in the 26 county bi-state region.

The St. Louis Area Foodbank is the sole nonprofit distributor of USDA product for both eastern Missouri and southwestern Illinois.

Food is distributed based on unemployment and poverty levels in the state.

The amount of food we receive is based on the number of unemployed persons and the number of people with incomes below the poverty level in the state. We distribute the food provided by the states to local organizations, such as soup kitchens and food pantries that directly serve the public.
Income guidelines and residency restrictions apply..

2020 Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

(2) Fax: (202) 690-7442

(3) Email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), write: HHS Director, Office for Civil Rights, Room 515-F, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201 or call (202) 619-0403 (voice) or (800) 537-7697 (TTY).This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Fight Hunger and Feed Hope in your community!

Sign up to receive email updates and discover your role in the fight against hunger!