For National Rice Month, we’re sharing an easy rice and black beans recipe.
This recipe is great for a side dish, and by adding a protein, it works well as a main dish, too. (Try it with chicken or sausage!) Another great thing about this recipe is that it’s easily modified- you can add your favorite vegetables or proteins to suit you and your family’s tastes.
What would you add to this recipe?
Easy Black Beans and Rice
- 1 cup uncooked white rice (substitute with brown rice as a healthier option)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced (for added flavor you can use roasted red bell peppers)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 16-ounce cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook rice according to package instructions. White rice usually takes 15 minutes to cook once the water is simmering, and 10 minutes to sit.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium high. Sauté onions and bell peppers for 3-4 minutes, until just beginning to soften, then add garlic and sauté a minute more. Add the black beans, vinegar and cayenne. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice and oregano. Add salt and pepper to taste.