As the weather warms up, barbecues are a tasty way to enjoy the outdoors, time with friends and family, and great food.
Kelly Hall, our Registered Dietitian, demonstrates some fresh ideas to keep your cookout delicious and healthy. Try the recipes for a delicious marinade or grilled mushrooms and let us know what you think!
Grilled Mushrooms in Foil Packets
1 pound mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed and sliced 1/2 inch thick
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
2 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and ground pepper to taste
- Cut four 12-by-12-inch squares of heavy aluminum foil, or eight squares of regular aluminum foil (stack two sheets each of the lighter foil to make four squares).
- In a large bowl, combine the mushrooms, herbs, garlic, salt and pepper, and olive oil. Use a large spoon to blend the ingredients.
- Divide the mushrooms among the four squares. Fold the squares over and crimp the edges together to form well-sealed packets. Place on a hot grill, and grill 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove packets from the grill and carefully open it to check for doneness. The mushrooms should be tender and juicy. Either transfer to plates or bowls (there will be lots of juice), or cut the packets and eat the mushrooms directly from them. Have lots of crusty bread on hand to sop up the juices.
Quick & Easy Grill Marinade
2 tablespoons mustard (Use which ever mustard you prefer, Dijon or Honey are both great choices)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
- Combine all ingredients together.
- Let meat or vegetables marinate for at least 30 minutes. The longer the items marinate, the more time the flavors have to combine.