What is AmeriCorps?
AmeriCorps, the federal agency for national service and volunteerism, provides opportunities for Americans to serve their country domestically, address the nation’s most pressing challenges, improve lives and communities, and strengthen civic engagement. Each year, the agency places more than 200,000 AmeriCorps members and AmeriCorps Seniors volunteers in intensive service roles; and empowers millions more to serve as long-term, short-term, or one-time volunteers.
• AmeriCorps is an opportunity for individuals of all ages and backgrounds to give their time and talent to strengthen communities.
• When you serve with AmeriCorps, you join a network of more than 1 million strong. AmeriCorps alumni continue to give back to the country through civic-minded activity. The community you build while serving with AmeriCorps is unlike any other.
Join the St. Louis Area Foodbank as an AmeriCorps member and serve while having a direct impact on carrying out our mission to build a stronger bi-state region by nourishing people, empowering communities and transforming systems.
Some of the hands-on things you can do as a member to help further the mission of the St. Louis Area Foodbank:
- Community outreach, education and trainings
- Distribute food, conduct surveys, provide referrals and support people with information and application for public benefits
- Support the organization in managing its network of over 500 partner agencies including food pantries, soup kitchens and shelters
- Create tools and resources to support the work of our partner agencies and internal teams
- Data collection and analysis; support database management projects
- Coordinate food drives and solicit food donations
- Serve on-site at partner agencies for various projects
Click the button below to fill out the form and one of our friendly team members will contact you.
hear what our members are saying about their experiences
“You can join the ranks of this organization and become a real-life super-hero dedicated to serving others and helping communities. This can be achieved by contributing time, energy, and inspirational ideas to help combat local issues. Helping others can be life changing. In realizing many people are only a paycheck away from needing assistance, it gives us purpose to want to assist others. The foodbank serves communities with varied resources, even for those that may not qualify for government programs.”
~Sharon, St. Louis Area Foodbank AmeriCorps Member
“I chose St. Louis Area Foodbank because I had experience working in a food pantry and food poverty levels are at an all-time high. I wanted to be able to assist with bringing awareness and contribute to streamlining the processes. I would highly recommend AmeriCorps to anyone who is service minded and enjoys the opportunity to serve the community.“
~Lisa, St. Louis Area Foodbank AmeriCorps Member
“Working as a VISTA has been one of the most eye-opening experiences I have ever had. As someone who has done plenty of non-profit and service work, being a VISTA at the St. Louis Area Foodbank is truly unmatched. Every person I have come across does things with purpose; they give every day their all and are still able to have so much fun. The foodbank staff takes care of our community neighbors but also each other, and it is a really great environment to be a part of.“
~Jaia, St. Louis Area Foodbank AmeriCorps Member
“I enjoyed being a summer VISTA because I was able to receive hands on experience while working alongside hardworking individuals who care about making positive changes in our neighbors’ lives.“
~Grace, St. Louis Area Foodbank AmeriCorps Member
“What do I enjoy most about my AmeriCorps service? Simply stated, providing food to our neighbors who are hungry. The sum of the parts is greater than the whole – synergism. If you have ever thought that ‘maybe this is something I should do,’ trust yourself – it is!“
~Donald, St. Louis Area Foodbank AmeriCorps Member
what is americorps?
Want to learn more? Check out this quick video from AmeriCorps, to learn more.