Director of Development
POSITION: DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Founded in 1975, the St. Louis Area Foodbank (SLAFB) is the community’s response to hunger. In 2016 the Foodbank distributed more than 42 million pounds of food, supporting more than 500 active agencies that work to solve the problem of hunger. SLAFB raises about $5 million in contributed income. With a $70+ million budget, it is ranked in the top 10 largest nonprofits in the region.
SLAFB is looking for a Director of Development. This is a new position created because of the agency’s growth. This is an opportunity to be a part of the continued growth of one of St. Louis’ essential nonprofits. This position reports to the Vice President of Development and manages a team of five in the development office. We are seeking a Director of Development with the following skills, characteristics and experience.
Skills will include the ability to:
- Provide leadership, structure and clear objectives to the Development Team.
- Manage and grow campaigns – Work closely with the Vice President of Development to help develop strategies that assist with the strengthening and expansion of Foodbank outreach. Current strategies include, but are not limited to:
- Individual solicitation – direct mail, planned giving, monthly donors, special events
- Institutional solicitation – grants, matching gifts, food/funds drives, sponsorships
- Oversee database and reporting.
- Maintain policies that foster public trust, adhere to AFP guidelines, and meet the philanthropic goals of the donor.
- Develop donor relationships to maximize donor rapport and major gift fundraising potential.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communications ability.
Characteristics of the selected candidate will include:
- Passion for the mission;
- Ability to represent SLAFB and its programs effectively;
- Flexibility with ability to work in a fluid environment;
- Demonstrated use of good judgement;
- Strong management skills with the ability to lead and motivate a collaborative team;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with donors, coworkers, board members, consultants and government officials;
- Advanced understanding of the motivations of individuals to give philanthropically;
- Ability to manage multiple projects with attention to detail;
- Ability to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; and
- Ability to take initiative and perform well with little supervision
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field;
- Minimum of six years of successful major gift fund raising;
- Three years supervisory experience;
- Demonstrated strong leadership and managerial skills;
- Experience with creating and executing fundraising plans;
- Basic knowledge of fundraising databases;
- Must be able to pass drug screening and criminal background check.
Send resume, cover letter and three references with contact information to email@example.com. Please put Foodbank Search in the subject line. Applications received by September 15 will be given preference.