June is National Dairy Month
Whether you’re enjoying a delicious yogurt parfait or a glass of milk, you’re doing yourself a favor with dairy!
Dairy is a great source of protein, calcium, and Vitamin D – all necessary for strong and healthy bodies. Our Registered Dietitian, Kelly Hall, put together a couple recipes for delicious, dairy-based snacks that are perfect for summer snacks.
We’d also like to thank the Midwest Dairy Council for their partnership in helping us get dairy to families in need.
¾ cup part-skim Ricotta cheese
½ cup vanilla low-fat yogurt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon orange juice, or half of an orange, juiced
1 tablespoon finely shredded or zested orange peel
Assorted cut-up fresh fruit
- Combine ricotta cheese, yogurt, sugar, orange juice and orange peel in a blender or food processor or mix by hand.
- Blend or mix until smooth.
- If desired, cover and chill up to 24 hours. Serve with assorted fruit like apple, pear, peach and orange slices to dip.
Fruit & Granola Parfait
1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
½ cup crunchy granola or low fat cereal
½ cup fresh fruit, sliced (i.e. strawberries, blueberries, bananas)
- To assemble parfait, begin with spooning half of the yogurt in the bottom of a bowl or tall glass.
- Add 2 tablespoons granola and ½ cup fruit.
- Spoon on the rest of the yogurt.
- Top with remaining 2 tablespoons of granola.