Apple Month Recipe
October is National Apple Month, so our Registered Dietitian, Kelly Hall, put together a recipe that’s perfect for this time of year.
Braised Apples and Cabbage is a colorful, tangy addition to any meal. Kelly demonstrates the ideal size of the chopped items and what the finished product looks like. Try it out and let us know what you think!
Braised Apples and Cabbage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 Gala or Fuji apple, halved, cored, and sliced
- 1 head red cabbage (2 pounds), cored, quartered, and thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and apple; cook, stirring, until onion softens, approximately 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage and season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Add cider vinegar, sugar, and water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until cabbage is tender, approximately 20 to 25 minutes. Enjoy!